Buying a home, your lawyer should:
- Help you understand the purchase contract, including how you will take title on the property.
- Check that there are no covenants, easements, liens, etc. registered against the property that will impede your use of it.
- Prepare and register all the legal documents.
- Clarify the terms of the mortgage and work with your bank, if necessary, to modify them.
- Scrutinize the adjustments, including taxes owing and utilities costs paid, prior to the transaction closing.
- Attend the closing and review all the papers you will be required to sign.
- Arrange title insurance protection to protect you from losses due to title defects.
- Ensure you receive a valid registered ownership subject only to the liabilities you have accepted.